How to Communicate Cybersecurity
Threats to Executives
In this episode of Life of a CISO, Dr. Eric Cole explains that a CISO must communicate what the top threats are, how to deal with them, and what are the costs and risks.
A CISO’s job is not to try to fix every single problem.
It’s up to the CISO to explain what the top threats are, and that other threats exist, but aren’t a top priority.
Listen to this episode to learn how to communicate with your executives that cybersecurity is never “fixed,” but the CISO is on top of things.
In this episode:
- 0:27 How to believe in yourself
- 1:09 One of the areas in security we overlook is “the law of cybersecurity
- 2:55 Be honest with executives
- 3:09 Would you want a doctor to tell you “you’re fine” when you’re not?
- 5:40 Every entity has a potential for ransomware
- 7:45 Present more problems that you can fix. Here’s why
- 9:51 Business is about managing risk, not fixing everything.
- 12:05 Treat people the way they want to be treated
- 13:08 The threats are always changing
- 14:51 How much can you fit in one slide?
- 15:59 Executives are scared
- 18:06 What is the biggest takeaway?
- 18:43 What are we looking for?
- 20:00 This old model isn’t working
- 22:18 World class CISOs look 3 years ahead
- 23:17 Base architecture
- 24:45 Data storage
- 27:35 Thin client
- 29:09 No local storage