A CISO is more than a technical engineer with a promotion. He is a communicator.
In this weeks episode of Life of a CISO, Dr. Eric Cole talks about what makes a World Class CISO, World Class.
If you are looking to become a World Class CISO, that doesn’t mean that you are an excellent technical engineer who has earned a promotion; it means that you are able to communicate the cybersecurity needs to the C-level executives in a way that they can understand, and do the same for the technical engineers.
Technical engineers want 100% security, executives want 100% functionality, and neither is possible.
As a CISO, you must communicate this fact, and explain the risks and benefits of each approach.
Join Dr. Cole to learn how you can communicate like a World Class CISO.
In this episode:
- 1:19 Check in
- 2:08 Do it daily for at least 90 days
- 5:07 Blue Ocean Strategy, Play Bigger, and other books to read
- 8:12 Successful people all read, produce content and exercise
- 9:58 Let’s get a little grounded
- 10:55 A CISO is not a technical engineer with a promotion
- 13:11 A world class CISO is bilingual: business and technical
- 15:09 In any functional environment, 100% security doesn’t exist
- 17:45 Technical folks spend every penny to try to make the organization 100% secure
- 19:12 The three questions you have to ask
- 22:06 Full awareness
- 23:40 Point Break (2015)
- 27:38 The most advanced attack we’ve ever seen
- 28:44 Also, the simplest attack targeting a wide-open vulnerability?
- 29:40 Is managing risk zero sum? (it isn’t!)