Are You A Strategic World-Class CISO?
In this episode of “Life of a CISO”, Dr. Eric Cole defines the difference between a world-class CISO and a world-class security engineer.
What is the main difference between the two? Reactiveness. A world-class CISO strategizes across all areas of business and cybersecurity, versus a world-class security engineer who is solely reactive to threats. You’ll learn how to redefine the concepts of “time” and “workday,” as well as how to use these concepts to achieve your optimal state. Dr. Eric Cole uses his optimal state as an example of max performance, segmented workdays, and how he optimizes time within each day.
Some of the techniques may be familiar to you, but you’ll learn how a world-class CISO utilizes its optimal state to prioritize, execute strategy, and reach goals to help its organization succeed.
Join Dr. Eric Cole’s video below and get started on becoming a World Class CISO.
In this episode:
- 1:25 The lens
- 2:37 There is no more time
- 3:27 What is time?
- 5:01 I forced it
- 6:56 A call is different from a keynote recording
- 9:08 Why do we have to stick to the conventional meaning of a day?
- 10:54 You can get more done when you’re focused and clear
- 12:42 Your brain wants to protect you
- 14:00 If you want to have a different life, you need to start doing things differently
- 14:12 There’s a lot of people who don’t understand what cybersecurity is
- 17:13 The definition solves a lot of things
- 17:36 Confidentiality, integrity, availability/ mitigating risks of critical assets being compromised
- 20:35 The CIA is baked in
- 20:51 Prioritization is key
- 21:08 Difference between engineers and CISOs
- 22:45 Executive involvement
- 25:58 IT involvement comes second
- 27:34 Root cause
- 28:32 What world class CISOs have/do
- 30:34 Wrap up